GENETIC ENGINEERING ACTION ALERT: CONTACT YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND SENATORS TODAY!
At last! Congress is currently considering five new bills that would ensure proper labeling and regulation of genetically engineered foods.
Please take action today to support the passage of this legislationespecially the Right to Know Act (H.R. 4814), which would guarantee labeling of all genetically engineered foods.
Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), a long-time supporter of Dr. John Hagelin's work (see http://www.hagelin.org), has recently introduced five bills in the U.S. House of Representatives that provide a comprehensive regulatory framework for all genetically engineered plants, animals, bacteria, and other organisms.
The five bills are
- the Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act of 2002 (H.R. 4814)
- the Genetically Engineered Food Safety Act of 2002 (H.R. 4813)
- the Genetically Engineered Crop and Animal Farmer Protection Act of 2002 (H.R. 4812)
- the Genetically Engineered Organism Liability Act of 2002 (H.R. 4816)
- the Real Solutions to World Hunger Act of 2002 (H.R. 4815)
Together, these bills address all the concerns about genetically engineered foods that the Natural Law Party has been voicing for the past decade. In short, these bills would
- require food companies to label all foods containing ingredients from genetically engineered plants or animals;
- improve the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) oversight and testing of transgenic foods;
- better protect farmers and ranchers against powerful biotech companies and restore farmers' traditional right to save seed;
- clarify and reform liability and other legal issues associated with genetically modified crops and foods; and
- expand research to help developing nations better feed themselves.
To read more comprehensive summaries of these bills, please visit
Similar legislation will soon be introduced in the U.S. Senate.
The bills all have over 20 co-sponsors in the House of Representatives and have also been endorsed by the Sierra Club, National Farmers Organization, Center for Food Safety, Organic Trade Organization, and the American Corn Growers Association.
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND SENATORS TODAY TO SUPPORT THESE BILLSespecially H.R. 4814, the Right to Know Act, which will guarantee labeling of GE foods. And please encourage your family and friends to do the same.
BY EMAIL: To quickly identifyand emailyour representatives, please visit
You may also send your representatives an email supporting the Right to Know Act at
BY LETTER: Letters are more effective than emails, and handwritten letters are the most effective of all. To download sample letters supporting the Right to Know Act that have been personalized for your representatives, please visit
and click on the name of your state.
BY PHONE: To contact your representatives by phone, just call the national Capitol switchboard at 1-202-225-3121 and ask to speak to your congressman and senators.
Thank you very much for your timely action on this important issue.